Easy Fish Pie with New Potato Topping
We’ve made the traditional fish pie lighter by using a crushed new potato topping. This easy and delicious recipe is perfect for a midweek family dinner.
Ready In 60 mins
- 800g new potatoes
- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 50g plain flour
- 600ml hot full fat milk
- zest of one lemon
- *400g salmon cut into cubes
- *400g cod cut into cubes
- *165g raw king prawns, optional
- *(alternatively use ready bought fish pie mix)
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 200g fresh spinach, optional
- Sea salt & black pepper
- 2 tbsp Rosemary & Garlic Olive Oil plus extra for drizzling
- Caramelised Onion Balsamic to drizzle
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- grated cheddar or parmesan cheese for topping, optional
- Grease a large baking dish (1.7–2 litre baking dish, about 25 x 18cm (10 x 7in) and 7.5cm (3in) deep)
- Place the new potatoes in a large pan of salted water and bring to the boil and cook until soft, around 20 minutes.
- Melt 50g butter in a pan and fry the leeks until softened. Add in the flour and cook for a minute or two before removing from the heat.
- Gradually whisk in the hot milk then return to the heat and bring to the boil stirring until thick and smooth.
- Stir in the lemon zest, season with salt and pepper and add in the chopped dill.
- Add the fish and prawns and stir through. *(or fish pie mix)
- Cook for a few minutes before pouring into the large baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 200c (fan 180c/Gas 6)
- Drain the potatoes then add back into the pan. Using a potato masher gently press down on the potatoes to break them slightly but not mash them completely, creating rough edges.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper then stir.
- Scatter the spinach on top of the fish mixture then place the potatoes on top of the spinach and drizzle with a little more olive oil and some grated cheese if you fancy!
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes until the pie is bubbling at the edges and the topping is golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and scatter over the chopped parsley.
- Serve with a drizzle of Caramelised Onion Balsamic and extra Rosemary & Garlic Olive Oil to taste!
You May Also Like
See for yourself...
The Gift of Oil brings your food to life in the simplest of ways.
Love Food. Love Flavour.