A classic Greek dish, thinly layered with sliced aubergine, potato and lamb and topped with a creamy béchamel sauce
Ready In 2 1/2 hours
- 6 tbsp Rosemary and Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 3 medium aubergines cut into rounds
- 800g lamb mince
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 heaped tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 200ml red wine
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tbsp light brown soft sugar
For the béchamel sauce
- 550g Maris Piper potatoes peeled and sliced 40g unsalted butter
- 4 0g plain flour
- 450ml whole milk
- 40g parmesan, finely grated
- Whole nutmeg for grating
- 1 large egg plus 1 yolk, lightly beaten
- Caramelised Onion Infused Balsamic for drizzling
- Gently fry the aubergine using 4tbsp of Rosemary and Garlic Infused Olive Oil and set aside.
- Fry the onion and mince until golden brown and set aside, adding a small pinch of salt.
- Add the garlic, cinnamon, oregano, chilli and bay leaf and mix with the lamb and onion.
- Pour in red wine, bring to a simmer and then reduce by half.
- Stir the tomatoes, puree and brown sugar to the mixture along with 200ml of water.
- Season and then simmer for a further 20mins until the sauce has thickened.
- Heat oven to 200C/180 fan/gas 4. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the potato slices and cook for 6 mins before draining.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, stir in the flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 min. Add the milk and then return to a simmer.
- Whisk through the parmesan, a little grated nutmeg and some seasoning, and finally the whole egg as well as the yolk.
- Layer the potato, aubergine and lamb mixture and finish off with the bechamel sauce.
- Cook in the oven for 50mins until deep golden brown.
- Serve with a drizzle of Caramelised Onion Infused Balsamic and the remaining 2 tbsp of the Rosemary and Garlic Infused Olive Oil
You May Also Like
See for yourself...
The Gift of Oil brings your food to life in the simplest of ways.
Love Food. Love Flavour.