Slow cooker Beef Goulash
Ready In 7 hours
- 3 tbsp Sicilian Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Classic Balsamic
- 2kg braising or stewing steak, cut into chunks
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 4 mixed peppers, cut into 4cm chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika, optional
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400-500ml beef stock
- small bunch of parsley, chopped
- 300ml soured cream, for serving
- Garlic Olive Oil & Caramelised Onion Balsamic to serve
- Heat the slow cooker to low. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a deep frying pan over a medium heat. Season and sear the beef in batches until brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Put the remaining oil in the pan and fry the onions for 10 mins until lightly golden. Add peppers and garlic, fry for another 5-10 mins and then add balsamic vinegar and cook for another minute. Next stir in the flour and all of the spices. Cook for 2 mins more, then stir in the tomato purée, tomatoes, and 400ml beef stock. Season well. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then tip into the slow cooker with the seared beef. Add the remaining stock, if needed, to cover the meat completely. Cover and cook for 6-7 hrs until the beef is tender and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Season to taste, then swirl the soured cream and most of the parsley through the stew. Scatter over the remaining parsley and drizzle with Garlic Olive Oil and Caramelised Onion Balsamic. Serve with small roasted potatoes, sweet potato wedges, or brown rice.
You May Also Like
See for yourself...
The Gift of Oil brings your food to life in the simplest of ways.
Love Food. Love Flavour.