Ready In 90 mins
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C
- Start by making the pastry, mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl, add sicilian extra virgin olive oil to the mix.
- When the mixture looks uniformly crumbly, start to sprinkle roughly 2 tablespoons of cold water all over.
- Start mixing and carefully add more water if needed, a little at a time, then bring the mixture together to form a smooth ball of dough that will leave the bowl clean.
- Rest the pastry, wrap in foil and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Next, peel, core and slice the apples straight into the pie dish and sprinkle the blackberries and sugar in.
- Roll out the pastry to 2.4 cm larger than the pie dish, then cut out a 2.5cm wide strip to fit the edge of the dish.
- Dampen the edge with water, the fit the strip of pastry, pressing it firmly, and dampen that too.
- Press the rest of the pastry over the top to form a lid and trim any excess pastry off. Use the blunt side of the knife and your thumb to press the two edges firmly together.
- Make a steam hole in the centre, if needed make some decorative leaves with the pastry trimmings.
- Brush the pastry with milk and sprinkle with a light dusting of caster sugar.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 190°C and continue baking for a further 30 minutes.
- Check the temperature of the pie and bake for another 5 minutes if needed.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of pomegranate and fig infused balsamic and a side of ice cream mixed with lemon infused olive oil