Ready In 90 mins
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C
- Start by making the pastry, mix the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl, add sicilian extra virgin olive oil to the mix.
- When the mixture looks uniformly crumbly, start to sprinkle roughly 2 tablespoons of cold water all over.
- Start mixing and carefully add more water if needed, a little at a time, then bring the mixture together to form a smooth ball of dough that will leave the bowl clean.
- Rest the pastry, wrap in foil and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Next, peel, core and slice the apples straight into the pie dish and sprinkle the blackberries and sugar in.
- Roll out the pastry to 2.4 cm larger than the pie dish, then cut out a 2.5cm wide strip to fit the edge of the dish.
- Dampen the edge with water, the fit the strip of pastry, pressing it firmly, and dampen that too.
- Press the rest of the pastry over the top to form a lid and trim any excess pastry off. Use the blunt side of the knife and your thumb to press the two edges firmly together.
- Make a steam hole in the centre, if needed make some decorative leaves with the pastry trimmings.
- Brush the pastry with milk and sprinkle with a light dusting of caster sugar.
- Place the pie in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 190°C and continue baking for a further 30 minutes.
- Check the temperature of the pie and bake for another 5 minutes if needed.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of pomegranate and fig infused balsamic and a side of ice cream mixed with lemon infused olive oil
See for yourself...
The Gift of Oil brings your food to life in the simplest of ways.
Love Food. Love Flavour.