Ready In 90 mins
- 75 ml tap water, luke-warm
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 160 grams all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Oil for greasing
- Ice cubes
- Mix water and yeast together in a large bowl and wait until yeast is foamy. It shouldn’t be more than 10 minutes.
- Stir in flour to form a smooth dough and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Add salt, then transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface, and knead about 10 minutes until elastic. Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place in a cold oven. In about 45 minutes dough will double in size.
- On a lightly floured work surface shape into an 8-inch x 6-inch rectangle. Fold longer sides towards the middle, then fold the 6-inch sides towards the middle. Return dough to the bowl, cover and place in oven. It will double in size in about an hour.
- Place a castiron skillet on the bottom rack of oven and a baking tray on the rack above. Heat oven to 240°C. Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface, and cut into 2 equal pieces; shape each piece into an even loaf. Place both on a lightly floured sheet of baking paper. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest until it doubles in size again.
- After about 45 minutes uncover. Pull out the oven rack with the baking tray on it and, using the corner of the parchment paper transfer onto the baking tray.
- Place ice cubes in skillet. Bake until gold and crispy on the top, about 25 / 30 minutes. When done, knock on the bottom of the bread when hollow, it’s baked through. Enjoy!
See for yourself...
The Gift of Oil brings your food to life in the simplest of ways.
Love Food. Love Flavour.