Sicilian Almond Apple Cake
Ready In 60 mins
- 200ml Sicilian Olive Oil
- 225g light brown sugar
- 225g plain flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 600g tart apples, peeled, cored & diced
- 75g flaked almonds
- Grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
- 100g Raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a cake tin.
- Pour the Sicilian Olive Oil into a bowl, add the sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until the mixture has increased in volume and resembles a thin mayonnaise.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add these dry ingredients gradually to the oil mixture, folding them in with a metal spoon.
- Next add the apples, raisins, flaked almonds and lemon zest.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the cake tin and leave to cool on a wire rack before serving
- Serve With tea and Mum!