Lamb stew with Olive Oil Dumplings
Ready In 120 mins
- 750g lamb neck fillet, cut into 2.5cm/1in cubes
- 2 tbsp Sicilian Olive Oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g plain flour
- 2 tbsp Caramelised Onion Infused Balsamic
- 12 baby onions, peeled
- 2 medium carrots, cut into large dice
- 1 medium swede, cut into large dice
- 50ml white wine
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 pints lamb stock
- 3 tbsp flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
For the dumplings
- 250g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- A good pinch of dried herbs
- 2 tbsp Rosemary & Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- Splash of milk, soya milk or water
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Season the lamb and dust with the flour. Place a heavy-bottom casserole dish over medium heat, add the Sicilian Olive Oil and the lamb. Fry until golden brown. Remove the lamb and keep to one side.
- Reduce the heat and fry the onions, carrots and swede until caramelised. Add the Caramelised Onion Infused Balsamic and white wine and simmer until the volume of liquid has reduced by half, then add the lamb back in along with the lamb stock. Bring the stew to a simmer then add the bay leaf and rosemary. Cover with a lid, transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
For the dumplings:
- mix the flour, salt and dried herbs in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle of the flour and add the Rosemary & Garlic Infused Olive Oil and a little milk and gradually incorporate into the flour until you form a sticky dough. Don’t add too much milk or it will too become sticky. If this happens, just add a little more flour.
- Flour your hands and then roll the dough into 12 small balls. Be careful not to overwork the dough or you will end up with tough scones. Pop them on top of your stew and press down a little so they are half submerged.
- Put the lid back on the casserole and cook your dumplings and stew in the oven at 180c for a further 25 – 30 minutes until the dumplings have swollen. If you prefer crispy, golden dumplings leave the lid off for the final 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, a generous drizzle of Rosemary & Garlic infused Olive Oil and Caramelised Onion Infused Balsamic and serve!